Monday, August 15, 2011

Nursing shortage Rant

It’s not like every nurse hasn’t blog, bitched or mentioned the nursing shortage.  But the sad thing is a lot of it has nothing to do with the need of nurses.  More of the almighty buck is more important than staffing nurses.  I understand that it’s a business but if you make the floors to short there are more chances of human error.  The hospital is being redone and our ER is expanding to a 28 bed ER from a 18 bed one.  They were nice to hire new nurses for day shift but nights will no be receiving any more help.  Nothing new because day shift always has plenty of nurse while nights gets to run around with their head cut off.  Now don’t get me wrong there are nights that we are dead.  Doesn’t happen often.  There have been nights where we are completely full and some in the waiting.  So now we are going to be bigger with 28 rooms and 4 nurses.  I hate to say it you know everyone and their mama are going to come to the ER just to check out all the new rooms and stuff.  We will be slammed for at least the next couple of months…ugh I dread it. And don’t even get me started on the new layout.  Where you can’t see half the patients and everything is spread out.  Plus the room won’t be able to hold the stock it use to have.  Which means we will have to carry more crap in our pockets.  Not like I don’t get stabbed when my fat ass sits down..ugh Oh yea we are right off the interstate now…more critical patients and less help.  WHOO HOO!  I wish I could take vacation for the next couple months…

No comments: